birding-aus

Cats

To: "<>" <>
Subject: Cats
From: Peter Morgan <>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 18:21:18 +1000
We felt sickened when we found a large ginger tabby curled up in what we
presume is a Letter-wing Kite nest in the tree where we found a family of 2
adults and 2 young last year in SA.  Bev got one poor photo, but the cat
scooted down and out of the tree as she approached to get better shots.
We have seen more cats on this trip through NSW, Qld, and SA than ever before.
Today, we watched a large grey cat stalking a huge mob of Little Corella
feeding on the ground just after we came out of Sturt NP on our way to
Tibboburra.
Throughout the trip, we have had many locals, some from the grazing industry,
bemoaning the number of cats and the damage they are doing.  One suggested that
explosion of bush rats in western Qld in 2011 led to an increase in cats that
lives on to this day.

Peter and Bev Morgan