birding-aus

Night Parrot call

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Night Parrot call
From: Bruce Greatwich <>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 14:49:58 +0800
I assure you Paul i will continue to be out there trying to record my own
call.

Thank you to Ken and others who have provided notes and information from
the presentation, it is fascinating to read. it must have been an amazing
experience to be at the presentation.

I think a good point to raise is everyone appears to have the birds best
interests at heart, no more so then John himself, which is a great thing.

My opinion is swayed because i am involved in conducting biological surveys
for EIA in WA. I have a nauseating feeling stomping around aimlessly trying
to find Night Parrots, when no reliable survey methodology exists. The
nauseating feeling is that if Night Parrots exist in the area and arent
detected, they will not be protected from the forthcoming bulldozers.

The example of this is at Fortescue Marsh and FMG's Cloudbreak mine site.
The Night Parrot was recorded at this location in 2005. But with no
reliable survey methodology and no further records, approval for the mine
followed. What you see now is mine sites popping up everywhere around the
Marsh, in what would have once been ideal Night Parrot habitat. If John's
concerns about this birds extreme intolerance to disturbance is true, then
i can assure you this location where they once were proven to exist, would
no longer support this bird. Not all mining related impacts are negative, i
can guarantee if a Night Parrot population was recorded on a EIA survey,
the offsets, funding and management of the population from the company
would be highly significant and beneficial to the bird.

Regardless, very exciting times, congratulations again to John.

There's a simple solution for all those who want a recording of the
Night Parrot's
call widely disseminated; go out and record it yourself!

Paul Osborn