birding-aus

Sean Dooley interview with Bush Telegraph re John Young (Night Parrot)

To: <>
Subject: Sean Dooley interview with Bush Telegraph re John Young (Night Parrot)
From: "Ian and Carla Jackett" <>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 09:23:22 +1000
Hi all,

I have attached the link to an interview yesterday, July 4th with Sean
Dooley speaking about John Young's Night Parrot presentation.  It would have
been such a thrilling and emotional time to witness such a presentation.

As a few mentioned, I also think it would be an invaluable tool for the call
to be provided for use by the scientific community (sooner rather than
later) to survey other possible locations where these birds may occur.  This
could be incorporated into their routine surveys perhaps?  Without knowing
anything about population size or basically much of anything at this point
in time apart from John's recent findings, wouldn't it be a good idea to do
some sensitive,  unobtrusive survey work in some of the most likely or
suitable habitat based on past records?  The more data collected and better
knowledge of this elusive bird can only help the conservation and future
protection of it.  For all we know this may be the last standing population
John has found.

Ian and I have been getting out to remote deserts on our own for some time,
and on our last trip in 2012, there were a few unknown bird calls along the
way but I don't recall any whistle calls at night.  We also had a bird
sighting in silhouette very late dusk from our camp at Lake Disappointment,
Canning Stock Route, WA.  I can share my story if anyone is interested but
there is no confirmation of what the bird was only to say we thought Night
Parrot as it glided into the Spinifex not far from us.  There are many with
their Night Parrot stories but maybe a second or third follow up survey
might be productive now that we know they are alive but not sure how well.

I don't think there will be a huge onslaught of people heading out there as
the suitable remote areas are often not easy driving and can be quite
treacherous on vehicles with vast distances travelling at 15 kph most of the
way.   I heard recently someone was rescued out of the Great Victoria Desert
for $10,000. When we did come across the odd vehicle and most days didn't,
the people apart from one vehicle, were not interested in birds or wildlife
in general it seemed,  but just getting from A to B as quickly as they could
to say they'd done it.

Congratulations to John Young for all your hard work and dedication.  One
day I look forward to seeing the video and photos.  It will be a magic
moment!

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bushtelegraph/night-pasrrot-rea
ction/4796992

Cheers