birding-aus

New Australian bird list

To: Tony Palliser <>
Subject: New Australian bird list
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 16:05:49 +1000
I guess there is no such thing as an "official" list and birders are free
to choose their own. This list may well suit BirdLife purposes from a
conservation point of view but will birders adopt it? Will for example
Eremaea (and all the other recording programs) move to use it - if not then
I suspect it will have very limited adoption in the birding community. It
will I know be confusing if birders in general use a different list from
the one used by the main birding body (and even more confusing if there are
several lists that birders use) but there is nothing to stop it!
Having - like many others - spent the effort to move my list to IOC I am
very reluctant to move back to this list - especially as I need an
international list which was always the problem with C&B - some splits in
C&B were hardly recognised by "international" lists (eg Great Egret) so one
ended up with a two different Aussie lists depending on whether you were
talking to an Aussie or a foreigner!