birding-aus

Brisbane-area advice for a South African visitor

Subject: Brisbane-area advice for a South African visitor
From: Grahame Rogers <>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 09:47:11 +1000
Have a look at http://birdsqueensland.org.au/downloads/birdplaces.pdf

Regards
Grahame Rogers

On 30/06/2013 8:55 AM, David Adams wrote:
I've been corresponding with a South African birder that is planning a
first visit to Australia and is looking for some advice. This man literally
wrote the book on South Africa's little brown birds and is a keen and
qualified birder. He's traveling with his wife and 8-month old baby to
visit his brother in Brisbane. I've already given him some advice on apps
and field guides and he's been going through the new T&T and studying up on
our birds.

Can anyone that knows the Brisbane area well offer suggestions on good
spots in your area? I've recommended a few but figured it would be better
to ask the list. Given there isn't a site guide for Brisbane, comments to
the whole list for the archives would also serve future visitors well .
Private replies are also okay, of course.

Here's a bit more info from Faansie:

So I've been reading in that guide [the new T&T] about some of the sites
  and checking them out in Google Earth. However, as you also said, we
will have a 8-month old baby with us, so we won't be able to bird
  non-stop and in difficult forested habitats for too long. I think it
would perhaps be wise to concentrate on sites that are relatively easy
  in terms of access and facilities and birds, and perhaps also focus on
grassland, water and more open woodland sites rather than rainforest.
  That being said, I will never forgive myself if we didn't at least try
one or two sites for lyrebirds, pittas, catbirds, riflebirds etc. I
  think it is also easy to bite off too much, and underestimate the size
of Australia! We will probably concentrate on the area within, say,
  300-400 km of Brisbane and rather work that properly. Given the
information above, do any sites come to mind?
  Thanks for any suggestions, I'll forward them all along.