birding-aus

RFI Banded Stilts at WTP

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: RFI Banded Stilts at WTP
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 09:49:07 +1000
Hi all,

I am hoping some of the regulars visitors to the WTP can help me with info
on the Banded Stilts.

I was down at the plant on 23/5 and there were thousands of stilts spread
over many ponds. Due to bad weather and the  Queen's Birthday w/e I did not
get back there until 16/6. On that day the numbers of Banded Stilts at the
plant had dropped into the hundreds. There was flock of 50 +/- on the
Borrow Pit and another of 100 + on Summer Lagoon 2. There were also small
numbers dotted around in other ponds, but not many.

What I would like to know is the actual day the numbers fell because,
according to HANZAB, they fly overnight to the breeding grounds so there
should be a marked difference from one day to the next some time between
23/5 to 16/6 at WTP.

There has been some rain over the Lake Torrens and Lake Eyre area breeding
grounds but I don't know if it was enough to put water in or top up any
lakes. I heard from friends driving north that the Birdsville Track had
been closed due to heavy rain in the first week in June. According to BOM
Coober Pedy had 67mm between 12/5 and 18/6. Woomera had over 40mm in the
same period. There was a single day of rain totalling 34mm on 22/5 at
Bedourie, Qld.

Also, are there any other big Banded Stilt flocks that have left other
wetlands in southern Vic or SA?

Thanks

Jenny
http://jenniferspryausbirding.blogspot.com.au/