birding-aus

Alice Springs birding contacts and sewage ponds access

To: Christopher Watson <>
Subject: Alice Springs birding contacts and sewage ponds access
From: Peter Morgan <>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 19:40:05 +0930
Chris, I can't agree more.  We are in Alice at the moment, and while the
tourist information centre was of little use, we have to thank Will Cormack for
coffee, friendship and a lot more - as well as seeing and photographing the
Forest Wagtail in his garden!
One thing the Info Centre did give us was the name of Barb Gillfedder, and
while we haven't needed to take up her offer to contact her again, she gave us
a very friendly response and welcome, and Will's number
The contact with the information centre has confirmed my belief -and action- in
trying to get through that birders contribute a lot to the local economy.  Bev
and I make a point of visiting these tourist information centres to try to show
the value of birding to the local economy.  In Mt Isa, we had a bit of success
when we went back and showed photos a friend had taken of the two Grasswrens in
that area (after we had found them) to the same girl who had made a very strong
point about how she wasn't interested in birds.  After our second visit, she
said she thought she should take this up with her manager.  The fact that a
number of birders from the Clarence Valley Birdos had recently contributed to
the Mt Isa economy probably had more effect.

Anyway... Today we had the Black-breasted Buzzard and the Slaty-backed
Thornbill at the Kunoth Bore turnoff on the Tanami Rd

kPete n kBev.

Procrastinate ...  NOW!