birding-aus

Possible Tasmanian Morepork in Victoria

To: "'Chris Corben'" <>, "'Steve'" <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Possible Tasmanian Morepork in Victoria
From: "Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 14:48:43 +1000
G'day Chris,

I think we are a long way from being convinced of anything about Tasmanian
Boobooks on the mainland except that they are recorded there.
The real problem is lack of effort to identify the bird in Victoria, most
people don't even know what the bird looks like let alone aware that it
should be looked for. Digital photography will hopefully increase the
probability that it will get photographed on the mainland but if people
aren't aware of the possibility an unidentified photograph will be just as
useless as an unidentified field observation. To this end I am happy to
receive as many photos as people want to send me for identification.
A quote from Kevin Bartram in an email to me last night "there is quite good
evidence that Tas birds migrate to the mainland during the colder months of
the year. I have personally found 3 dead specimens, 2 roadkill & 1
beachwashed, all now donated to the Vic Museum. And there are also several
other specimens collected during the colder months on the mainland". So
there are definitely museum specimens to go with these birds that get
photographed, but I don't think we can say if this represents a migration,
or just an annual dispersal of some individuals, or even if the birds are
Victorian. But they aren't being recorded in the Wet Forests, not yet
anyway, the Hamilton bird is in a suburban back yard, and another recently
photographed dead bird was from Altona 2010(unfortunately it wasn't
collected). But this obviously doesn't mean they aren't in the Wet forests.
What's needed is for people to be aware of and start scutinizing their
Victorian Boobooks for Tassy birds. We need more Kevin Bartram's out there
on the job.

Cheers Jeff.