birding-aus

Grub ID - Straw-necked Ibis prey

To: "'Allan Richardson'" <>, "'David Stowe Photography'" <>
Subject: Grub ID - Straw-necked Ibis prey
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 16:28:45 +1000
I also agree with Allan that it is more like a scarab beetle larva. In
addition to the characteristics mentioned by Allan, part of the exoskeleton
of most large scarab beetle larvae is either transparent or discoloured with
light grey, which is not usually the case with cossid moth larvae (including
witchetty grubs). Close examination of Dave's photo shows that the posterior
half of the grub has that light grey discoloration.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde NSW