birding-aus

Swift Parrots near Coffs Harbour on NSW mid north coast

Subject: Swift Parrots near Coffs Harbour on NSW mid north coast
From: Brian Hawkins <>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 20:54:03 +1000
G'day all,

There were small numbers of Swift Parrots feeding today on flowering Forest
Red Gums (*Eucalyptus* *tereticornis*) right next to Tuckers Rocks
cottage,in Bongil Bongil National Park, at the end of Tuckers Rocks Road,
near the town of Repton, south of Coffs Harbour on the NSW mid north coast.
I saw a flock of seven birds; Greg Clancy, who initially spotted them,
estimated there were 10-12 birds in total.

I have spent literally hundreds of hours surveying birds within a few km of
Tuckers Rocks cottage, but this is the first time I've seen or heard Swift
Parrots in the area (although I know they're reasonably regularly reported
from sites such as Moonee Beach, about 20 km north).

The Forest Red Gums around Tuckers Rocks "normally" reach peak flowering in
August or even September - this is the first time since I started paying
attention (2007) that I've known the Forest Red Gums in the area to flower
as early as May.

Brian Hawkins