birding-aus

Lingering birds in SEQ

To: "" <>
Subject: Lingering birds in SEQ
From: Roger <>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 18:18:41 +1000

This season here in Samford, SEQ is a bit unusual with a few noteworthy
overwintering birds...at least from my observations.

Noisy Pitta breed up in the national park just a few K's away and here around
BNE they tend to move down out of the hills and even into the mangroves.  For
the past few weeks I have been hearing one call a few times just on or after
dusk so this weekend I took it upon myself to see if I could find it.

It turned out not to be too hard and seems to have taken up a winter position
in a small patch of thick forest in my neighbours yard.

A male Cicadabird is also hanging out in my garden.  They are frequently here
in the summer, but it has been some months since I heard one.

I have never had either of these birds this late before.

My white-eared monarchs are still here, albeit they only seem to call
occasionally.  They have been on our block for years with no month I have not
recorded them.  This still seems to be unusual from what I am told.

Also, I have had a rose-crowned fruit-dove up until two weeks ago.  I would see
it fly across the path as I was out working...not sure if it is still around?
This would also be late...

Cheers,

Roger McNeill
Samford SEQ