birding-aus

Forest Wagtail / Barbary Dove

Subject: Forest Wagtail / Barbary Dove
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 16:37:47 +0800

Many thanks to Chris Watson for the updates on the Forest Wagtail, and especially to Anne & Will Cormack for their exceptional hospitality for allowing people to wait on the verandah to see the bird.

Great views were had on Sunday morning at 08:55, 10:20 and about 11:15. It had been seen the previous day. Chris has said that he will update birding-aus when it is no longer seen, so assume it is still visiting until then.

Good to catch up with other people on birding-aus who were there.

Thanks for everyone who gave me information on where to find Barbary Dove (or should this now be African Collared Dove?) in Adelaide. Ray Pearson recommended Neston Avenue in Plympton. From the airport, I headed along Donald Bradman Drive, then south on Marion Road, then west (right) on Mooringe Ave and then third left (south) on to Neston Road. I instantly saw a BD on the wire. A flock of about 10 then flew across the road, and looking further along the road there were about another five on the wires. The easiest bird I think I have ever found. It appears that BDs are expanding quite rapidly in Adelaide?