birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 20 May 2013 06:37:33 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 19 May 2013.

Sun 19 May Australasian Bittern Edithvale Seaford Wetlands (Edithvale)
Single Bittern seen on and off over several hours from ~1:00 - 4:00 from the wetlands Discovery Centre. Generally hard to see until it was flushed by a fox. (Picture from Ian Kitchen.)
Rohan Long

Swift Parrot, White-browed Woodswallow Warby-Ovens National Park (Keenan Road)
At least 7 Swift Parrots in flowering ironbarks, one was a dull looking immature bird. Also approximately 450 White-browed Woodswallows in large dispersed flock overhead. Very unusual to see so many here in late autumn, usually a spring and summer bird here. Many were feeding off ironbark flowers, probably the reason why so many are still around here. One Masked Woodswallow with the flock as well.
Michael Ramsey

Red-backed Kingfisher Almonds-Wilby Road at 36 12 32S 146 01 52E
A very unusual sighting, not seen in this area before and very odd in timing, usually a late spring or summer bird and then still quite rare in this part of Victoria. Great views perched on a powerlines before it flew down to snatch an insect off the ground and then flew into nearby cypress-pine trees. Streaked crown and rusty red rump clearly observed.
Michael Ramsey

Freckled Duck Kennington Reservoir, Bendigo
Eleven birds at waters edge on eastern side. Not perturbed by people but didn't show any interest in all the bread that a well-meaning, but uninformed couple were throwing in their direction (the coots and black ducks got to it first anyway).
Rustem Upton

Hooded Plover Mallacoota
There were 6 adult,and 2 juvenile Hooded Plovers at the mouth of the Betka River, Mallacoota.
Ian and Jean Davies

Ground Parrot Mallacoota
We saw a single Ground Parrot along the Heathland Walk at Shipwreck Creek. Also many Sthn Emu Wren and Tawny Crowned Honeyeaters. Around Mallacoota we also observed 2 Glossy Black Cockatoos, Beautiful Firetails, White Headed Pigeon, Azure Kingfisher, Lyrebird, and a Powerful Owl down Watertrust Rd.
Ian and Jean Davies

Sat 18 May Fan-tailed Cuckoo Darebin Creek, Ivanhoe
A Fantailed Cuckoo called four or five times in the early afternoon. We have often heard them in May, but have neither seen nor heard any in the last few years.
Brian Fleming

Swift Parrot Mitcham
An estimated 12 birds seen flying over the Maroondah Highway; 3 first flew from some non-Victorian rough-barked Bloodwoods planted in the median strip.
George Appleby

Northern Shoveler Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Northern Shoveler male seen from Paradise road, south side closest to Gate 6
Simon Starr

Northern Shoveler Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Seen between 1pm and 2.30pm around the north end of Lake Borrie, particularly the north east corner, then flying to the pond immediately to the west of it, also staying mainly in the north east corner, where it got out of the water for a little while among a lot of Pink-eared Ducks. It was till swimming in that area when I left. It seemed keen to follow three male Australasian Shovelers. Thanks to those who found it and showed it to me. I realise now that I was expecting it to be more obvious than it was. It was too far away for good photos, but this one in flight is interesting because it shows the full upper side with wings spread.
Peter Shute

Black-tailed Godwit Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
A lone late staying or overwintering Black-tailed Godwit was seen loafing with Banded Stilts and Red-necked Avocets at Walsh's Lagoon. The Northern Shoveler was seen, and the raptor feast at WTP continues with great views especially of Hobby, Spotted Harrier and Black Falcon delighting our Canadian guest.
BirdLife Melbourne Photography Group via Sonja Ross

White-capped Albatross,Black-browed Albatross The Nobbies, Phillip Island
Observed from the boardwalk this morning (2) White-capped Albatross, (1) Black-browed Albatross accompanied by a Giant-Petrel (which spec ies, is unclear ).
Derek Whitehead

Fri 17 May Black Kite Rodborough Road, Joyces Creek
Flock of ~ 40 Black Kites, with at least one Black Falcon amongst them. Circling in the area near the large broiler farm to the west of Joyces Creek. This is the largest gathering of the species I've seen in the district, although numbers have grown over recent months.
Geoff Park

Double-barred Finch West Wodonga
Flock of at least 10 Double-barred Finches moving along and beneath the almost bare grape vines at the corner of Felltimber Creek Rd and Ingrams Rd.
Peter Thomson

Olive Whistler Banyule Flats Reserve
One Olive Whistler (the first I've seen in the suburbs) beside the overgrown billabong. Also 1 Pink Robin and 3 Scarlet Robins. Nearby, 1 Bassian Thrush at Wilson Reserve.
Guy Dutson

Thu 16 May Redthroat Raak Plain (tank on Last Hope Track)
Only seen by our visitor from Denmark - a very good birder with experience of Aussie birds
Dave Torr, Iian Denham, Henrik from Denmark

Spotted Nightjar Hattah-Kulkyne Campground
One bird briefly seen at dusk by Lake Hattah.
Dave Torr, Iian Denham, Henrik from Denmark

Double-banded Plover Swan Lake, Phillip Island
Over 50 Double-banded Plovers foraging at the eastern end of the lake,accompanied by Red-necked Stints and Red-capped Plovers.First recording for Double-banded Plovers at this site.
Derek Whitehead

Eastern Spinebill Large suburban bush garden in Hoppers Crossing 3029.
At 1025 hours, observed a single Eastern Spinebill in and around Correa plants in my front garden. A welcome first time Autumn-Winter visitor to my garden. (Moderators note: though frequently recorded in the eastern suburbs, very few records from the west).
Peter Gibbons

Wed 15 May Black-chinned Honeyeater Brisbane Ranges National Park
Seen at a water point on McLeans Hwy with several other species of Honeyeaters bathing. All the birds were unafraid of me and I was able to get great views of the bird within a couple of metres. White nape extending to the eye and it was a little bit larger than the White-naped Honeyeaters there, also a possible juvenile seen at the same spot. Other notable observations at Brisbane Ranges today, a pair of Spotted Quail-thrush on McLeans Hwy near Thompsons Rd and the first Eremaea record of a Brush Bronzewing, on Geebung Track
Tim Nickholds

Wed 15 May White-necked Heron 1.5km north of Koonoomoo on the Tocumwal Rd
37 seen on an irrigated paddock
Peter Bright

Swift Parrot Anakie
Heard and then saw 2 Swift Parrots flying overhead as I drove through Anakie
Tim Nickholds

Tue 14 May Cattle Egret Seymour River Walk
Upriver from New Crossing Place to the vineyard. Weather overcast and cool but calm. Rain the previous day and overnight. Cattle Egret with cattle in paddock to south of track just upriver from the fishing platform. My first sighting of these birds in over 2 years at Seymour.
Val La May

Tue 14 May Freckled Duck, White-necked Heron Swan Lake, Phillip Island
At least 15 Freckled Ducks as well as one White-necked Heron. Also a couple of Flame Robins and a Brown Goshawk.
Falk Wicker

Spotted Harrier Lake Colac
Flying less than 10 m along shoreline near main boat ramp. Fantastic, close views.
Chris Pitfield

Little Friarbird, Pink Eared Duck & Swift Parrots Muckleford
Saw a Little Friarbird near Castlemaine Golf Course, approx 6 swift parrots and a Pink Eared Duck on dam at Golfcourse with Grey Teal.
Debbie Worland

Mon 13 May Northern Shoveler Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Great to see this bird today and thanks to Dave Torr for waving me over and pointing it out.. Always nice to find people so helpful.
Trevor Lumb

Little Eagle, Collared Sparrowhawk Point Cook Coastal Park
Dark morph Little Eagle (mobbed by magpies) over open paddocks; female (on size) Sparrowhawk in wooded area.
Glen White

Northern Shoveler, Fork-tailed Swift, White-winged Tern Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Male shoveler seen in Walsh's Pond 10 then flew to Pond 7. 2 Fork-tails hunting low over 280S Rd near 85WB and 7 White-wings - 2 in breeding plumage - over 85WB Pond 7
Dave Torr, Andy Jensen, Nikolas Haass, Raja

Sun 12 May Kelp Gull Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
A second-year Kelp Gull was observed flying north-east over the 35E Conservation Ponds around 10.30am, this species is quite a rare visitor to the plant.
Steven Davidson - The Melbourne Birder

Sun 12 May Northern Shoveler Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Further to earlier report on Northern Shoveler. Bird observed from approximately 1:15 to 1:50 in first pond after Little River crossing. It was difficult to approach and tended to stay as far away from the car as it could. It was not seen at that location when we passed by again at about 4 pm. Picture by Annette Hatten
Mark Stanley & Annette Hatten

Sat 11 May Pink Robin, Banded Stilt, possible Sooty shearwater Altona area
1 brown Pink Robin and 240 Banded Stilts at Laverton Creek mouth - very good close views of the latter available. roughly 250 Banded stilts seen in flight distantly in the old saltworks. The shearwater seen over the reef opposite Surf Street in Seaholme, lazily flying in the close in shelter from the strong NW wind- elongated body and wings and extended silvery underwing indicated Sooty but I can't be 100% sure. I saw Short-tailed Shearwater off Ocean Grove the next day and am more convinced that the Seaholme bird was a Sooty.
George Appleby

Thu 9 May Black Falcon Bowser (north of Wangaratta)
An adult cruising to the east over the Hume Highway a kilometre before the Corowa/Rutherglen exit (for traffic heading north), at 12:30 pm.
Paul Peake

Tue 7 May Spotted Nightjar Pritchards Landing
One bird flushed from bush track alongside Glenelg River.
Trevor Lumb

Wed 1 May possible Masked Owl Dartmoor district
While playing Masked Owl call an owl flew into an adjoining tree and before l could get the spotlight on it flew away and could not be relocated.
Trevor Lumb

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and hosted by Eremaea Birds.