birding-aus

Rainbow Bee-eaters

To: "" <>
Subject: Rainbow Bee-eaters
From: Dominic Funnell <>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 07:38:43 +0100 (BST)
Being newish to birding in Aus and with limited reference material available I
wanted to ask if Rainbow Bee-eaters regularly form large flocks during the
winter? I have surveyed migrating European and Blue -cheeked Bee-Eaters in the
Middle East and they certainly migrate south in decent sized groups but I have
no experience with Rainbow Bee-eaters.

I live in Yorkeys Knob north of Cairns and I regularly see loose flocks of
60-80 in good feeding areas but the last couple of days I have seen tight
flocks of at least 150 birds feeding over the pines close to the beach. Is this
normal?
Many thanks
Dom