birding-aus

Masked Lapwings on a roof

To: "Robin Hide" <>, "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Masked Lapwings on a roof
From: "Peter Ormay" <>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 11:03:11 +1000
For the last four years running there has been a pair nesting on the roof of the YMCA at the Jamison Center. Last year I talked to the receptionist there and she said that "the Ranger was aware of them". I don't know what happened to them.

A few years ago there was a pair nesting on a flat roof at CSIRO Wildlife Gungahlin with three eggs that I checked daily. I blocked the downpipes with wire netting for the duration so the chicks wouldn't fall into them before I could rescue them but the eggs were gone one morning and there was no sign of any chicks. There were Australian Ravens around all the time so I presumed they got them.
Peter Ormay