birding-aus

Bait-fishing Striated Heron (Butorides striata) in the World?

To: "michel.reglade" <>
Subject: Bait-fishing Striated Heron (Butorides striata) in the World?
From: Vader Willem Jan Marinus <>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 07:56:27 +0000
Dear Michel,
                                   I saw your mail, and have a single
observation of bait-fishing Striated Herons. This was back in 1986 in
Singapore, in the extensive bird park there----I now cannot remember the name,
but there is only one of that size (Jurong is the name, maybe). The heron I saw
bait fishing---too far away to see what exactly he (or she) put out, but I
rather think it was bread or something like that. I watched the bird for maybe
a quarter of an hour, and all that time he put out bait and followed it
downstream (there was some current in the water), and a few times he caught
small fishes. At the end the bird flew away, out of the park, and thus it
clearly was a wild bird, even though the observation was in a bird park.
                                I am a retired biologist, prof. emer.  of
zoology at the University of Tromsø, Norway.

                                               Wim Vader, Tromsø Museum
                                                                  9037 Tromsø,
Norway