birding-aus

Adelaide environs + SA RFI

Subject: Adelaide environs + SA RFI
From: Ian Reid <>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 20:20:24 +0930
Hi All,

I moved to Adelaide about 7-8 months ago and have done some birding around Adelaide, though not as much as I would have liked and naturally there's still lots for me to see. There's lots of good info about many of the species I'd like to catch up with on sites like eremaea, birdpedia or birding-aus archives, and in Peter Waanders helpful guide (a friend in UK purchased the eBook for me as a leaving gift), but for some of my potential targets I can find few records or very recent gen. Hence, I am writing to ask if people have up-to-date info about a couple of species that range maps and other info suggest used to be found near Adelaide.

Spotted Quail-Thrush: is the isolated population on the Fleurieu Peninsula and Mt Lofty Range now extinct?

Chestnut-rumped Heathwren: Peter's guide suggests a few sites in the Adelaide Hills and I recall finding a birding-aus post from a few years back suggesting a reliable site in Morialta Park, but the only recent records I know of are from further south at Cox Scrub. I presume they are also still gettable at Deep Creek. Does anyone have more precise suggestions (either at these two sites, or preferably in the Hills)? Have there been any sightings close to Adelaide in recent years?

Fuscous Honeyeater: again one that I have not seen any recent records of. Much more common elsewhere, but always nicer to see stuff close to home. Do they still occur?

Plains Wanderer: ok, I know not near Adelaide, but I'm interested to know if there are *any* SA records in recent times.

Cheers, Ian

--
Prof. Ian Reid
School of Computer Science