birding-aus

Letter-winged Kite Hume Hwy Vic

To: "'jenny spry'" <>, "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Letter-winged Kite Hume Hwy Vic
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 19:07:10 +1000
Hi all,

Ruth and I had a pretty good look for the LWK on Thursday (ANZAC Day) and
the following day. Other teams also looked on Thursday, all without joy. We
searched the freeway between Kilmore and Clonbinane heading north, then came
south from Clonbinane to Kilmore through some grassy paddocks with trees
along the edges, presumably ideal habitat for Black-shouldered and
Letter-winged Kites - all to no avail. We then headed north on the freeway
again. On Friday we repeated the search pattern but initially in the
opposite direction (we ended up repeating much of the pattern again). On
Saturday our search was conducted mid-morning, as we were heading north to
Winton Wetlands and ultimately Rutherglen and Chiltern. On Sunday our search
was conducted in beautiful late-afternoon light from around 4:45pm to about
5:45pm, after we headed south from Chiltern with a stop-off in the Lurg
hills area. In the vicinity of Kilmore the only raptor we sighted was a
single Nankeen Kestrel over the freeway at about the location reported for
the Letter-winged Kite. On Friday, on the way south from Kilmore we were
surprised by a single (presumably) Black-shouldered Kite just north of the
Amaroo Road flyover in Craigieburn - this was well after last light - so
around 6:15pm or so.

If anyone is interested, I have posted some pictures of many species other
than Letter-winged Kite on my SmugMug site at:
http://paul.angrybluecat.com/Trips-and-Locations/2013/North-eastern-Victoria
-Apr

And yes, if you think that I am developing a theme with photos of birds on
barbed-wire fences, then you are probably right...

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria