birding-aus

ANZAC Day birding observations

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: ANZAC Day birding observations
From: Laurie Knight <>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:01:03 +1000
While wandering around the Mt Matheson circuit (Spicers Gap on the Great Dividing Range) in SEQ, we had the pleasure of coming across a pair of Glossy Black Cockatoos quietly vocalising near the entrance to the camp ground. Further around the circuit, we came across some flowering banksias (the ones with the big oval yellow flowers) which strangely had no honeyeaters in attendance (not that there was a general absence of honeyeaters). On the other hand, there was a surprisingly large number of Mistletoe Birds foraging along the heritage section of road.

The final point of interest came while we were enjoying coffee with a hot choc chip muffin and whipped cream at the Lavender Farm near Mt Alford. As we were taking in the blue sky panorama of the Scenic Rim from Mt Barney to Lizard Pt, I heard a nearby liquid call. It sounded like an odd honeyeater. When I turned around, I saw that it was a Striated Pardalote - it had a lower pitch and changed cadence from the usual call of that species.

Regards, Laurie.