birding-aus

Juvenile Dollarbird in Tasmania etc.

To: <>
Subject: Juvenile Dollarbird in Tasmania etc.
From: "Jenny Madeline" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 09:35:03 +1000
Just a belated report about a juvenile Dollarbird seen and photographed by
Hobart photographer Ian Robertson at Pieman Heads (mouth of the Pieman River
at the southern end of the Tarkine region in NW/W Tasmania) on 9 April.

Allan Ible and I met Ian and Carol Robertson on the Pieman River Cruise on 9
April.  After reboarding the Arcadia II following a lunch stop at Pieman
Heads, Ian showed Allan and me the photograph he had taken of a bird that
landed on a dead tree amongst some shacks - clearly a Dollarbird.

The sighting has been reported to Birdline Tasmania with a photograph
supplied by Ian.  I understand that there have been only a handful of
sightings in the past hundred years, with one reported to birdingaus in
March 2007 by Ian May (a juvenile seen at Scamander on the east coast).

Allan and I also managed to track down 6 Blue-winged Parrots on the Sealers
Springs Road, west of Smithton in NW Tasmania, on 7 April - a new bird for
both of us.  They were variously perched in a small row of Melaleuca
saplings in a paddock or flying about.  We watched them on and off (through
binoculars and a telescope) for about half an hour.

Jenny Madeline & Allan Ible