birding-aus

Birdline Australian Capital Territory Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australian Capital Territory Weekly Update
Date: 15 Apr 2013 01:30:59 +1000

Birdline Australian Capital Territory

Published sightings for the week ending 14 Apr 2013.

Sun 14 Apr Rose Robin John Knight Memorial Park, Lake Ginninderra
Male by water's edge in casuarinas, see picture
Michael Kingsford

Sun 7 Apr Gilbert's Whistler Mulligan's Flat Nature Reserve
This morning, along the northern boundary track of Mulligan's Flat Nature Reserve between the pine windbreak and the Pipeline Road a distinctive female Whistler of unfamiliar appearance was encountered. My first impression was that it might be an Olive Whistler but the back and wings were clearly grey. I had seen maybe a dozen (brown plumage) Golden Whistlers during the morning and even more Rufous Whistlers so I had fresh images of these in mind. To my eye the bird was on the large side for Golden Whistler and small for Olive Whistler. The bill was black and appeared quite stout. I proposed that it was a female Gilbert's Whistler. The bird was in view for several minutes and I paid particular attention to the vent to see if it had the typical yellow spot on the cloaca of Golden Whistler. No yellow was seen. [Moderator's comment: This extraordinary record would require rarities committee appraisal before it could be accepted into the Eremaea atlas, but is published for information only at this stage, noting the observer's considerable experience and expertise.]
PJ Milburn

Birdline Australian Capital Territory is hosted by Eremaea Birds.