birding-aus

Ouyen-Patchewollock Road, Victoria

To: Paul Dodd <>
Subject: Ouyen-Patchewollock Road, Victoria
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 10:44:45 +1000
Hi all,

It's not only the Patchewollock Rd that has lots of Malleefowl. Joy and I
spent easter driving around in Hattah and the Murray-Sunset country and we
saw many Mallefowl. We didn't keep a count but I guess we saw about 20
birds and 2 active mounds without going looking.

Driving the Old Calder Highway south of Hattah at dusk and dawn was the
best place but they were also seen and heard in the middle of the day as we
looked for Red-lored Whistlers on Honeymoon Track. Talking to a ranger it
seems that Malleefowl have had a couple of excellent seasons.

We found an immature Red-lored Whistler and two people we birded with found
and photographed a Black-eared Miner. It was a wonderful 5 days of birding
with just under a hundred species seen including all the expected birds. We
also found a new spot (for us) for White-browed Treecreeper at the junction
of Werrimull Track and Settlement Road, along the northern edge of the
Murray-Sunset park.

cheers

Jenny
http://jenniferspryausbirding.blogspot.com.au/