birding-aus

Powerful Owl call?

To: "" <>
Subject: Powerful Owl call?
From: Pat OMalley <>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 08:46:20 +0000
Dear all,

Excuse my ignorance on matters nocturnal. Last night about 11pm a series of 1
then 3  very loud ringing hoots - perhaps more like' hyoo' than  the hoots of
the Powerful Owl on the Morcombe soundtrack.

We live in the country (Fish Creek, Vic) amid lowland woodland mosaic with
pasture - not what I think of as N. strenua territory even though they are of
course in range.

I just didn't sound like the Morcombe hoots (though much more like the female
than the male).

I can't think however what it would have been. Any ideas?

Best
Pat

Pat O'Malley
Professorial Research Fellow|Faculty of Law | University of Sydney | NSW
2006|Australia
Voice: +61 (0)2 9351 0395|Mobile +61 (0)404 273392| Fax  +61 (0)2 9351 0200
Email: <>
Visiting Professor, School of Law and Social Justice, University of Liverpool.