birding-aus

Port Fairy Vic Proposed habitat loss.

Subject: Port Fairy Vic Proposed habitat loss.
From: Adrian Boyle <>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 11:21:48 +0800
Hi all

Thought it important to get this message out there.

Port Fairy wetland under threat. Advocacy Alert

Every year, from spring to early autumn, large numbers of Latham’s Snipe
congregate at the Powling Street Wetland System in Port Fairy, Victoria. This
7.5 hectare wetland is well recognised as the most important known site for
Latham’s Snipe in Australia. But the wetland is also prime waterfront real
estate and the Federal government has just given the green light to a proposal
to subdivide 2.5 hectares of the Wetland System for residential housing -
despite the fact that the snipe are protected under the EPBC Act and several
international migratory bird agreements.

However, the developer must also gain approval for the subdivision under
Victoria’s planning laws. BirdLife Australia has joined with the South Beach
Wetlands and Landcare Group to campaign against the development but we will
need your help.

Once the developer’s plans are submitted to the Moyne Shire Council, we would
like members to write to the Council opposing the development. There is a very
short timeframe for commenting on this and while we will post information on
our website, we’d be very interested in hearing directly from members who’d be
interested in joining our campaign – particularly residents of south-western
Victoria. If you would like to help us please contact Jenny Lau
 so we can keep you updated on this campaign.