birding-aus

Thoughts on Alternatives to Farming Deterrents

To: "" <>
Subject: Thoughts on Alternatives to Farming Deterrents
From: Cameron McNab <>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 12:55:12 +1100
To Birders of Australia,

I’m an engineering undergraduate trying to develop a 'best solution' for the
ongoing bird problem faced by many farmers and wine makers. I understand many
of you may have strong opinions on the pro's and cons of this topic; however
I’m hoping you might be a good source of options and ideas.

 Problem: Each year bird netting is put up in orchards and vineyards to prevent
birds damaging crops. Birds caught in or under netting can be stressful if not
fatal. Bird habituation (adapting to) is the main reason non-physical
deterrents fail, yet farmers loose crop without some form of bird deterrent.

 Currently I’m looking for 'a better way' of adapting none-net based deterrents
to work effectively without injuring or trapping birds.

I have investigated a number of current commercial products and ideas, the
technologies they use and their claims of success, however realistically there
is a reason farmers stick by nets (because nothing else is effective long
term). Currently we are looking into the use of mechatronic systems, sensor
nodes and more complex deterrent networks – however the basic habituation
problems still remains.

 I’d be interested in hearing any thoughts people may have about potential ways
of deterring birds from an area. I’m currently investigating options such as
disturbance through sound, so am looking into information on birds and their
hearing thresholds, however I am interested in any information/opinions/ideas
that people wants to provide on 'natural' deterrents (besides predatory
birds/falconry) or tackling habituation would also be great.

Thanks in advance (people can reply off forum in they prefer,

Cameron