birding-aus

North American Field Guide

Subject: North American Field Guide
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 15:44:25 -0400 (EDT)
I would second the recommendation for the big Sibley and Nat. Geo (most
recent edition).  For an app version I prefer IBird Pro, as I think it has
the best interface and is easiest to use.

Finding guides are a bit tougher, as the ABA finding guides are not
available everywhere.  However, I would check out the ABA book store, run  by
Buteo books to see what is available.  There is a good guide for Alaska  that
has been revised recently and Florida.  There is not that much in date  for
California.  Joe Morlan has a website for California (google his name)  that
has a great county by county coverage for California.  Many birding  clubs,
Audubon societies, etc, will have online resources for their areas.   Other
things you might find useful are E-bird, which you can use to find out  what
birds are found where when, and an App called Birdseye, which you can use
to identify good birding spots in your area and what is currently being seen
nearby.

Hope this helps.

Eric Jeffrey
Falls Church, VA
USA

In a message dated 3/24/2013 1:59:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,