birding-aus

Basic Vic Bird Guide

To: "'Dave Torr'" <>, <>
Subject: Basic Vic Bird Guide
From: "Carl Weber" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 15:06:57 +1100
Hi Dave,

I have found that it is better to overestimate the interest and intelligence
of your audience/clients/friends, rather than to underestimate it. True,
some people will go glassy-eyed if you them with P&K
Or S&D. However, the interested ones probably won't - it might even arouse
their interest to the point that they start birding! Some kids delight in
seeing a bird and then being shown it in a book such as P&K.

If you want to find some middle ground, give them a recognised bird field
guide and add a typed list of the birds likely to be found in their area of
interest (or even acquaint them with Eremaea on-line).

Finally, there is nothing more frustrating than finding a bird that isn't in
the book. I made this mistake with my first el cheapo New Zealand Bird
Guide.

Best of luck,

Carl Weber