birding-aus

Car trip with birding

To: "'Thomas M Lahey'" <>, <>
Subject: Car trip with birding
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 16:59:32 +1100
I have done the car trip from Melbourne to Canberra, either way, many times
over 4 decades. It depends if you are doing it as a direct trip, in which
case it is about 8 to 10 hours driving time. That can be one day or I often
stop overnight at Chiltern, just south of Wodonga, which is probably the
best birding spot (and a nice historic village) that is only about 5 km off
the main highway. The drive from Melbourne to Wodonga is now freeway almost
the entire stretch, so it is possible to stay on the highway and see very
few birds (some raptors, galahs, magpies, etc). From Albury to Canberra and
Sydney is also mainly highway. Not a lot of places to stop between Canberra
and Sydney, best known is Roses Lagoon and Lake George before you get to
Goulburn. Otherwise there are plenty of other nice spots on the ranges but
they all involve significant detours off the highway, so that depends on
your timing and plans. As for once in Canberra, I suggest you look at the
Canberra Ornithologists Group (COG) website http://canberrabirds.org.au/
under "maps, forms & lists" or any other page that you think may help. As
urban birds go, there are many more birds in Canberra than in Sydney, not to
mention that Canberra is a much nicer city! Canberra also has large
populations of Grey Kangaroos, that you won't see in Incline Village, NV
(I'm guessing that is somewhere in USA) or in Melbourne or Sydney and we
have many more parrots of more species (except perhaps for Rainbow
Lorikeets, that are far more common in Melbourne and Sydney). Most foreign
visitors are impressed with these.

Philip Veerman
24 Castley Circuit
Kambah  ACT  2902

02 - 62314041

-----Original Message-----From:
 On Behalf Of Thomas M Lahey
Sent: Tuesday, 12 March 2013 9:54 PM    To:

Hi Birders,

I'm Tom Lahey from Incline Village, NV.  I'm visiting friends in
Melbourne.  We are planning to drive to Sydney (arrive April 3 or a day
or 2 earlier) with a least a stop in Canberra.

We're into birding, sightseeing, and good food.

Any spots you think we should see on this trip?

Thank you,
Tom
Thomas M Lahey