birding-aus

New Guinea Field Guides

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: New Guinea Field Guides
From: Phil & Sue Gregory <>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:28:38 +1000
Like policemen and buses, there are none for ages then all come at once. The
Beehler and Pratt Field Guide is a major revision with new plates and text and
covering the main island and the nearby offshore islands -West Papuan,
D'Entrecasteaux etc. Timeline seems as ever with these things to be variable,
but I'd be surprised to see it this year.
Lynx are actually publishing my own effort, a Field Guide to the Birds of New
Guinea and the Bismarck Archipelago, (also Bougainville), for which the species
texts are done and the plates are to come from the HBW, but they are clearing
the decks for the last volume of HBW Vol 17, and also the Handbook of Mammals
Vol 3, all of which are imminent, so don't hold your breath as yet. I imagine
the taxonomy will follow BirdLife/HBW which is in the process of being set-up,
but I wrote the drafts based on the IOC and include some imminent splits which
are well-documented in important papers e.g among the Petroicidae.
Be good to have a choice available, for so long only the regrettably incomplete
Brian Coates and Bill Peckover Photoguide has been the only relevant title  in
print.

Phil Gregory

Website 2: Http://www.cassowary-house.com.au