birding-aus

#197 for the home block and a few other interesting North Qld sightings

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: #197 for the home block and a few other interesting North Qld sightings
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 21:01:54 +1000
Greetings,
On Sunday afternoon I saw my second new crake for the home block in three
months. This time it was a Spotless Crake seen flying across Spring Creek.
Interestingly this year I have two new species already, last year I added one,
the year before two, in 2010 no new species for the home block but two each for
09, 08 and 07. At this rate I might hit 200 in 2015.

There is a Red-backed Kingfisher 6.3 Kilometres from Malanda on the road to
Atherton and this bird has been there for at least a week and was seen there
earlier in the year too. Other western birds still around out of their normal
season are Black Kites in hundreds, Sarus Cranes at least five as of last week
and 27 last month, Pink-eared Ducks in tens at Hasties Swamp, Tinaroo Dam and
Innot Hot Springs.

At Hasties Swamp there are three Freckled Duck which have been there for three
weeks though on most days only two are visible. Also tens of Grey Teal and some
Hardheads which are both usually gone by now. Aussie Little Grebes are breeding
there again and so are Bush Hen.

At least one Golden Bowerbird is still placing sticks on his bower though he
has not been around while I was watching.

Blue-faced Parrot-Finch numbers are slowly building on the southern Tablelands,
rather late in the season as while the grasses flowered well, they did not set
much seed last year.

I have now had three independent reports of White-plumed Honeyeaters at
Wondecla but have not been able to see them myself.

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road