birding-aus

Eastern Bristlebird RFI

To: "" <>
Subject: Eastern Bristlebird RFI
From: David Stewart <>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 20:32:06 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all
This will be my last response on this issue as neither I nor the Eastern
Bristlebird Recovery Team wish to get in a argument about ethical birdwatching.
You say only yourself, your wife and a two children will be only one visiting
the bristlebird area. However, not long after your request, an email was posted
on Birding-Aus asking for the information to be made public.
We receive numerous similar requests for information relating to
bristlebirds and our policy is not to provide location information.  Your
request is just one of many and the cumulative impact of disturbance
particularly during the breeding cannot be underestimated. These birds are
disturbance sensitive.
This population of bristlebirds is on the edge of extinction and considerable
resources are being directed towards preventing the last few birds being lost
for ever. The Recovery Team is trying to manage threatening processes and this
includes disturbance by people and particularly the unmanaged use of call
playback.

David Stewart
Eastern BristlebirdNorthern Population Recovery Team