birding-aus

Brush Turkeys in Sydney

To: <>
Subject: Brush Turkeys in Sydney
From: "Chris Lloyd" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 10:07:16 +1100
In a distant life I was employed by the WIRES organisation in Sydney and I
can recall regular calls from the public about these birds either
landscaping a St Ives backyard or "abandoned" by the adults and therefore
needing to be rescued. Some of these calls, from memory, go back to at least
2006. I remember an old bander mate telling me he had watched them as train
driver crossing the Brooklyn Bridge to presumably re-invade Sydney. I also
recall dealing with quite a few chicks in the office in Forestville.

They are now very common in the north shore and beaches and have worked
there way around the city to the Blue Mountains and south. The only records
I have are from 2008-09 but they give you the picture:

Beecroft

Killarney Heights

St Ives

Blaxland (Blue Mountains)

Mount Keira (Illawarra)

St Ives

Chatswood

Normanhurst

Thornleigh

Dee Why

North Shore

Turramurra  x 2

Eastwood

Northbridge

Wahroonga x 2

Forestville

Pymble

Winmalee (Blue Mountains)

Gordon

Roseville

Hornsby

Roseville

I am sure someone from OEH or WIRES will have much longer term data (back to
the 1980's) on the presence/absence of the species.