birding-aus

(no subject)

To: "" <>
Subject: (no subject)
From: Savannah Hardy <>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 03:19:37 -0800 (PST)
Well,
I've had a great time birding around Darwin in the last 3 days....
It has finally decided to rain more regularly here, making it feel like the wet
season
has begun just a little bit, but very delayed...
Have been returning a fair bit to three places in particular in the last week...
Leanyer Sewerage Works, Buffalo Creek and Fogg dam....
Am told that fogg dam is RELIABLE to see the White browed crake....keep missing
that one.
I did get to the Fogg dam wall at 7:30am today hoping to see a little bittern
in the reeds or a Little Kingfisher, but no show.
I did see Bar breasted honeyeater and Oriental Reed Warbler (new species 4 me)
along with many comb
crested jacana's, Whiskered Terns and Azure Kingfisher and a very friendly Sand
monitor foraging for breakfast next to our car much to
my kids delight.
The night before, i was at Buffalo Creek and managed to see the Large tailed
nightjar (new species 4 me) hawking around the lights
near the boat ramp.
Leanyer Sewerage works has the usual wandering whistling ducks, jabiru and pink
eared duck on occasion, pied herons, common sandpiper, common greenshank
occasional pacific baza and grey goshawk and black butcherbirds...still trying
to see that Little ringed plover though.....
This afternoon, i was down at the jumping crocodile cruise area near the
mangroves and found a Mangrove Golden Whistler (new species 4 me).
Sometimes you don't see any new species for ages, then you suddenly see a heap
in succession, always great when that happens. Not that i don't enjoy
observing what i've already seen in the past.
I'll be off to Fogg dam wall again in the morning...6:30am is my target time to
be there....just have to drag my 5 and 6 yr old out of bed too :D
Hoping to see some target species this time
Happy birding...
kirri