birding-aus

Malleefowl Bonanza

To: "Ross Macfarlane" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Malleefowl Bonanza
From: "Philip Jackson" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 13:17:38 +1100
Ross,
Thanks for the response which is most interesting. The photograph is incredible. I have had some other responses from locals who agree that they have never seen anything like the current congregations of Malleefowl. They do say that they have seen the birds feeding from split grain in the past, but only a few singles or pairs. Another suggested that this year's very large canola crop might be a factor.

Whatever the reasons, it is a spectacular sight well worth the visit. It seems to have been occurring since mid-January at least when John Tongue first reported it on Birdline-Vic. I suspect that you are right when you suggest that this is not a good sign - reliance on roadside spillage is surely not a good thing.

Philip Jackson