birding-aus

Canon Powershot SX50 HS camera

Subject: Canon Powershot SX50 HS camera
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 19:47:54 +0800

I enquired quite some while ago about anyone's experience with this camera, and alternatives.

Some positive responses, and some maybe still to make a final decision.

I finally bit the bullet, and have just purchased it. I am heading overseas next week to Cameroon (I hope we don't get kidnapped .... as happened recently to some people ....), and so I will try it out.

I don't expect to get photos of Geoff Jones' fantastic quality (wonderful images of Iron Range). I made the decision that a digital compact camera with 50x optical zoom with image stabilisation is probably better than trying to digiscope, which I have tried and I am very unsuccessful at. So I will see how I go.

Some points about purchasing equipment online. I did a search for retailers, and found some with prices a lot cheaper than others. Rule #1. Google the company and look for reviews. If you can't find reviews, or the reviews are mixed (e.g. a delay in delivery), then contact the company first with your concerns. Rule #2. The cheaper prices are not always what they seem. Some don't include GST (not a concern for me, as if it did as in my case then I will claim it back when I leave). Some have packages such as a protective case, or a second battery, or memory cards, , ..... Rule #3. Check whether the company is based in Australia. Rule #4. Leave your decision for a while (say a month). You can decide whether you really want the camera, and whether the retailer is the most suitable. I did save $100+ buying it online.