birding-aus

Has anyone seen Striated Grasswren at Hattah recently? And is the the Ru

To: Peter Waanders <>, "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Has anyone seen Striated Grasswren at Hattah recently? And is the the Rufous Fieldwren usually seen alone?
From: Tim Dolby <>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 05:20:17 +0000
Yes, I think it should be a good year for Striated Grasswren - they'll
certainly be along the Nowingi Track.  FYI here's a few spots I've found
Striated Grasswren at/or near Hattah.

- Nowingi Track.  A good particular good spot for the grasswren is just east of
where the track turns north-west, in Google maps see -34.69138,142.274297,  or
at the base of a small rise on the west of the track, -34.692333,142.271553.
- Hattah fire trail. This is another spot to look. It runs parallel to the
Hattah-Robinvale Rd, see -34.761786,142.32045.
- Last Hope Track, in the Murray Sunset, about 2 km west of the Hattah store,
see -34.748577,142.24355.
- Pink Lakes.  Along the Pioneer Dr just west of where it intersects with the
Salt Bush Flat Track, -35.035232,141.740234.

In reality in the Murray-Sunset they'll occur in any decent area of mallee with
a spinifex understory, specifically those areas that have a post fire age of
between, let's say, 20 to 50+ years.

>From my experience, there are two good techniques to seeing Striated Grasswren
>(and grasswren generally). Either walk very slowly and listen very carefully
>for their weak call or, alternatively, walk reasonably quickly, covering more
>territory, stopping whenever you think you hear something. Then listen
>carefully and move slowly. The latter is a particularly good technique for
>grasswren, as they tend to move away when approaching. In most cases I've seen
>Striated Grasswren they've been in areas that have large tussocks of Triodia
>combined with a patch or two of low growing Mallee eucalypts - especially
>where there's plenty of scattered bark around the base of the trees. In effect
>the eucalypts act as a small island in sea of spinifex. (Interestingly I found
>that Striated and Carpentarian Grasswren have an almost identical habitat
>preference.)

To see Rufous Fieldwren, they're in the bluebush area immediately adjacent to
Lake Tyrrell, -35.443846,142.828262, usually in pairs at this site.

In terms of call playback, with grasswren (and with most birds) I reckon the
challenge is actually to see them without using playback. There nothing more
frustrating than being around someone who's continually using playback when
trying to find new species. As a rule playback's best used when doing formal
bird surveys, otherwise it should be used in absolute moderation i.e. I
sometimes use it to quickly confirm a bird species that I think I've heard.

Cheers,

Tim Dolby