birding-aus

Birdline South Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline South Australia Weekly Update
Date: 18 Feb 2013 01:31:48 +1000

Birdline South Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 17 Feb 2013.

Sat 16 Feb Cape Barren Goose Narrung Road @ 35 41 15S 139 13 23E
Cape Barren Goose (200) Probably more but hard to see birds beyond dam in low lying area.
Keith & Lindsay Fisher

Sat 16 Feb Pink-eared Duck Lake Albert - marshes at southern end.
Pink-eared Duck (700) About 650 in one raft with others scattered around.
Keith & Lindsay Fisher

Sat 16 Feb Black Falcon Princess Highway at 35 47 38S 139 21 01E
Large dark black Falcon, long wings and long tail, very flat wings not upswept like Brown Falcon. Larger bulkier looking bird than Brown Falcon did not see any buff edging to wings, appeared all dark.
Keith & Lindsay Fisher

Sat 16 Feb Glossy Ibis, Painted Finch Amata Waste Water Treatment Plant
Glossy Ibis (4) On overflow section of ponds again. Painted Finch between 30-50 birds in a few small flocks flying low over ponds and overflow section of plant. Landed in northern mulga woodland allowing for sustained views. My only other previous record for the APY Lands is from Alalka Waterhole (2004) near Ernabella Community in much more steep and rocky terrain with (almost) permanent water.
David Hartland

Fri 15 Feb Glossy Ibis Amata Waste Water Treatment Plant
Glossy Ibis (4) Initially flushed one bird from Crake infested muddy patch, other 3 located in deeper water with more cover. Birds regrouped later to give sustained, close views
David Hartland

Wed 13 Feb Rock Parrot, Black Faced Cormorant and others Ceduna and Fowlers Bay etc
Live in Sydney and just spent four days visiting friends living in Ceduna. Thought I would post a quick report on the birds I saw. Around Ceduna saw Rock Parrot, Black Faced Cormorant, Pied, Little Pied and Little Black Cormorant, Greenshank, Pacific Gull, Common Sandpiper, Red Necked Stint, Pelican, Reef Egret (Dark Morph), White Faced Heron, Grey Plover, Red Capped Plover, Singing Honeyeater, Grey Teal, Crested Tern, Caspian Tern, Sooty & Pied Oystercatcher, Sacred Kingfisher, Weebill, Yellow Throated Miner plus a host of other birds such as Galahs, House Sparrows, Starlings, Little (I think) and Australian Ravens etc. At Fowlers Bay, Cactus Bay and Davenport Creek was able to add Ruddy Turnstone, Sandering, Terek Sandpiper, Ringneck Parrot, White Bellied and Wedge Tailed Eagles, Sharp Tailed Sandpiper, Hoary Headed Grebe, Fairy Tern, Dusky Woodswallow, Musk Duck, Grey Butcherbird, Pipits. A total of 51 species. Quite happy with that.
Andy Firth

Fri 8 Feb Hooded Plover Maslin Beach
Adult pair on beach at mouth of the creek where it forms a shallow expanse of water. Fingers crossed that they are able to stay at this locality as some untrained dog owners don`t give a dam!
Edward Smith 1688

Sat 2 Feb Black-breasted Buzzard Mt Woodroffe SA Block
Black-breasted Buzzard (1) Seen circling on thermals above Amata community around midday Sat. 9/2/13
David Hartland

Red-kneed Dotterel, Banded Stilt, Whiskered Tern, Orange Chat Amata Waste Water Treatment Plant
Red-kneed Dotterel Banded Stilt (1) arrived Sat. 9/2/13 (approx.) - absent before this date Whiskered Tern (1) arrived Sun. 10/2/13 (approx.) - absent before this date Orange Chat (3) one male, two females - sticking to rocky track between two still/deep ponds
David Hartland

Sun 27 Jan Tawney-crowned honeyeater Largs North
I am not an avid bird watcher, but love the honeyeaters. I saw this little fellow in my flowering Coolibah eating insects, so I looked up what it was. I have been here over 20 years and have never seen one. Unfortunately, he was too quick/well camouflaged for me to get a photo, but I now have my camera at the ready. Are these common on the Adelaide plains? (Mod note: A very unusual sighting for this area... a photo would be great and no not common on the Adelaide plains!)
Russell Oldfield

Birdline South Australia is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.