birding-aus

wildfire and birds

Subject: wildfire and birds
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 09:01:23 +1100
Hello all,

Last Wednesday our property of seven hectares was blasted by a
wildfire along with many others in the Molesworth area. Today has been
the first day that we haven't had helicopters flying over head,
towards where the fire still burns. Amazingly, and through
considerable effort from the fire services, no buildings were lost.
The only area left unburnt on our place was our actual house and shed.
Our "fire retardant" plants burned along with everything else! The
heat was so great that we had melting on one side of our house (vinyl
cladding). House OK, family OK, we were very lucky.

The native garden which was coming along nicely (4 years old) is now a
bit of a mess. We've been back in the house for a few days and the
animals are gradually coming back. Grey Currawongs were around as soon
as we got back home. Superb Fairy-wrens seemed to have survived- they
have been focusing on the dams. Brown Thornbills were missing for a
couple of days but they were around again yesterday. Tas Native-hens
have survived in the same numbers as before the fire. They seem to be
struggling to find food though as they are hanging around the house
for any scraps that they can get. Tasmanian Pademelons are still
around including a couple that have moved into the shed to sleep
during the day. No sign of our bettongs yet, or any brushtail possums
which were especially numerous before the fire.

It will be interesting to watch our bush (about 4 hectares) recover. I
was wondering whether any one else out there has any stories of bush
recovery (along with its birds) that they could share. I'd love to
hear from anyone that has resurrected a native garden after fire.

Cheers

Mick
.
--