birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
Date: 11 Feb 2013 01:31:11 +1000

Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 10 Feb 2013.

Sun 10 Feb Square-tailed Kite Castlereagh 10' Cell
Square-tailed Kite (1) Adult bird hunting low near my house as I was heading to the shops. Tattered primaries on both wings.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Sun 10 Feb Plumed Whistling-Duck, Pink-eared Duck, Banded Lapwing Richmond Lowlands
Banded Lapwing (9) Turf farms thanks to Edwin Vella and Tony Dawe. Also seen Plumed Whistling-Duck (2) Triangle Lane pond - Powells Lane end. Observed through a scope. Pink-eared Duck (3) also present. Photo attached - please excuse poor quality.
Greg McLachlan

Brush Bronzewing, Common Bronzewing Red Hill, Beacon Hill
Quick visit in attempt to relocate Regent Honeyeater (not surprisingly, didn't see it), however we did see no less than 4 Brush Bronzewings and 3 Common Bronzewings (a pair of Brush in some dense heath, then a feeding flock on the path consisting of another 2 Brush and 3 Common). Note: The bush "regeneration" attempt at Deep Creek (Narrabeen) last year removed all the good habitat, and as far as I'm aware the resident Brush Bronzewings there haven't been seen since. Hence, this looks like it's now "the spot" to get these birds in Sydney.
Joshua Bergmark, Nathan Ruser, Jenny Stiles

Regent Honeyeater, Fork-tailed Swift, White-throated Needletail Red Hill, Beacon Hill
Went birding at Red Hill this morning hoping to see a Brush Bronzewing but I guess I got more than I bargained for. While standing on top of the hill looking at the 100 or so White-throated Needletails & 20+ Fork-tailed Swifts I noticed a flock of Red Wattlebirds flying towards me and there was a much smaller honeyeater in with them. Lucky for me the whole flock landed in a dead tree in front of me. I got excellent views of a Regent Honeyeater preening itself in with the Red Wattlebirds. After about 3 or so minutes the whole flock flew off in a north east direction.
michael ronan.

Musk Duck Wamberal Lagoon
Lots of water birds observed since the Lagoon was let out over a week ago. Many Great Egrets, smaller number of Intermediate and Little. Great Cormorant, Little Black Cormorant, Little Pied Cormorant and Pied Cormorant. Large numbers of LB & LP Cormorants feeding on white bait which have been schooling up at the entrance. Unusual sighting of a single female Musk Duck loafing. Lots of Chestnut Teal, Masked Lapwings etc. Well worth a look if you're passing.
Paul Shelley

Double-banded Plover ShoalhavenHeads
Came across a pair of Double-banded Plover (Charadrius bicinctus) at Shoalhaven heads this morning. Second Bay area. Moderator's note (NH): Steve McBride had a Double-banded Plover at Richmond River, Ballina on 2/2/13, appeared to be a juvenile. Then another one at Flat Rock, East Ballina on 8/2/13, this one appeared to be an adult female, both breast bands were complete but dull.
Graeme Cox

Fork tailed Swifts, White-throated Needletails, Common Bronzewing, Near Whittaker's Lagoon, Moree
A nice cool clear sunny day today, no rain expected until tomorrow through to Wednesday, with a slight chance this afternoon. Observed around 30 Fork tailed Swifts with a few White-throated Needletails (my first observation of WTN west of the Great Dividing Range). There are also 100s of Tree Martins in several areas, assuming they have young. There are also 100s of Black Kites all around the area. A Restless Flycatcher and about 10 Grey-crowned Babblers were observed, ist ones in the area for a while. Galahs, Dollarbirds and White-plumed Honeyeaters were feeding their young. A female White winged Triller was seen, still in the area! With all the rain, not only is Whittaker's Lagoon full, but flooded, waterbirds here were: About 100 Australian White Ibis and 50 Glossy Ibis, 2 Hardheads, Black fronted and Red kneed Dotterels, Black tailed Native Hens, Coots, Swamphens and Moorhens and all the other common ones. A completely black raptor flew over, about the size of a goshawk, I think Black Falcon? Last month (19th January) saw a juvenile Common Bronzewing feeding on a gravel road, unusual species found in this area.
Curtis Hayne

White-throated Needletail and Fork-tailed Swift Thirroul
mixed flock of White-throated Needletails and Fork-tailed Swifts over Thirroul. 9am. headed north.
Michael Crosland

Sat 9 Feb Plumed Whistling-Ducks Nowra Waste Water Treatment Plant, just off Terara Rd, turn south, east of concrete bridge
The Plumed Whistling-Ducks seen last week were still present. We counted 65, however suspect from their movements that more are there but out of sight in other ponds which cannot be seen from outside the fence. In the canal across the road from the plant were three Royal Spoonbill and quite a few Little Black Cormorants and Chestnut Teal, also some Purple Swamphens.
Jill Molan, Nerida Hudspith

Pectoral Sandpiper, Australian Spotted Crake, Latham's Snipe, Black-fronted Dotterel with chicks Shellharbour Swamp, Boolwarroo Rd - site of marina / housing development Shell Cove
The Pectoral Sandpiper was still at Shellharbour Swamp yesterday (Saturday 9/2) despite higher water levels (due to rain) and earthworks over part of the site. It was feeding in shallow water among small clumps of dead reeds. The Red-kneed Dotterels that were previously always in its vicinity were not seen at all. Four Latham's Snipe were seen; 4 Australian Spotted Crake; and 3 Black-fronted Dotterel, one standing over 2 fluffy chicks (first seen last Saturday while still on the nest). The Australian Painted Snipe has not been seen this week. One of the two Painted Snipe spots - where it was seen regularly over the previous weeks - has been totally obliterated with between 3 and 6 metres of soil. The remaining spot has a lot more water in it.
Jill Molan, Nerida Hudspith

White-throated Needletail, Painted Button-quail Castlereagh Nature Reserve
Small flock of White-throated Needletails (~40 birds) was circling over reserve. i got an excellent view of Painted Button-quail. It was resting under a small bush. It was so hot that it did not move until I reached 3m distance.
Ted Wnorowski

Glossy Ibis, Yellow-billed Spoonbill, White-necked Heron Agnes Banks, flooded paddoc at the corner of Jockbett and Wilshire Rd
Good selection of water birds feeding in the flooded pasture: Glossy Ibis (4), Yellow-billed Spoonbill (2), Royal Spoonbill (1), Great Egret (3), White-necked Heron (5).
Ted Wnorowski

Australasian Bittern, Glossy Ibis, Spotted Harrier, Latham's Snipe, Great Crested Grebe Penrith Lakes along Castlereagh Rd (up to intersection with Cranebrook Rd)
One Australasian Bittern was basking in the morning sun standing in front of dried reeds (at the edge of the pond near Olive Rd). A flock of Glossy Ibises (36 birds - the largest flock seen by me in Sydney area) were feeding in the swamp vegetation near Cranebrook Rd. Adult Spotted Harrier was flying over pasture. I flushed 4 Latham's Snipes from the grass near the road. Other interesting birds included: Great Crested Grebe (5), Lewin's Rail (1), Baillon's Crake (6 - lakes are full of water so they were feeding in the flooded pasture - nearly in open), Whistling Kite, Australian Hobby (on the powerline).
Ted Wnorowski

Glossy Ibis, Great Crested Grebe, Red-kneed Dotterel, Pallid Cuckoo, White-belled Sea-Eagle Penrith Lakes, McCarthys Lane, Whitewater stadium
Eight Glossy Ibis were feeding at the edge of lakes along McCarthys Lane together with small flock (5) of Red-kneed Dotterels and Black-fronted Dotterels. A single Pallid Cuckoo was perching on the fence nearby. Five Great Crested Grebes on the lake. A juvenile White-bellied Sea-Eagle circling above the lake and annoying ducks and Eurasian Coots.
Ted Wnorowski

Gould's Petrel, Sooty Tern Sydney Pelagic Trip
A count of about four Gould's Petrel was the highlight of the Sydney pelagic trip along with two Sooty Terns. No other 'tropical' species were recorded despite the very warm 26degC water temperatures at the shelf. Photographs will be examined to firm up the exact number of Gould's Petrel individuals recorded. Moderator's note (NH who was on the Halicat too): One petrel's ID is currently still under discussion.
Roger McGovern and all on the Halicat

Fork-tailed Swift River Road, Bathurst
A flock of about 40 birds flew over, ahead of a thunderstorm, at about 8pm. Also, one bird observed on Sunday morning (10th February) in clear skies. 149 35 26E, 33 25 02S.
Tiffany Mason

Musk Lorikeet Thirroul
12 Musk Lorikeets flying over my house near Thirroul primary school around 5.30pm
michael crosland

White-throated Nightjar Sphinx Memorial Car Park, Ku-rin-gai National Park
At least 2 White-throated Nightjars hawking over carpark just before dark at 8:15. One (possibly a different bird) was heard calling afterwards. Also one Australian Owlet-nightjar. A quick visit to the Kalkari Discovery Centre area in an attempt to find Spotted Quail-thrush was unsuccessful, but a number of Wonga Pigeons, a Whistling Kite and at least 20 Australian Brush-turkeys were good to see.
Joshua Bergmark, Max Breckenridge, Henry Coleman, Nathan Ruser

Wompoo Fruit-Dove. Watagan National Park, Cooranbong.
Got my first record of a Wompoo Fruit-Dove along Bangalow Road in the Watagan Mountains this morning.
michael ronan

Sharp-tailed Sandpiper Riverine Park, Cooks River, Banksia
Two birds giving great views, also usual Stilts ,Black fronted Dotterel,Teals etc, also Brown Goshawk
Chris Pollard

Pectoral Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper, Australian Painted Snipe Hexham Swamp (induction only area)
At least one Pectoral Sandpiper (thought I saw a second later but light was poor couldn't confirm) and one Wood Sandpiper on Hexham Swamp yesterday. Also a 'huddle' of 4 Aussie Painted Snipes along with 50+ Red-kneed Dotterels, about a dozen Black-fronteds, one PGPlover, 3 Curlew Sands and about 400 Sharpies. Rows and rows of 100's of ibis returning to roost a magnificent sight. Note that this part of the swamp requires an induction before entry and access could potentially be more difficult in the near future.
Mick Roderick

Fri 8 Feb Beautiful Firetail North Katoomba (East) Cell
Beautiful Firetail (12) 2 family groups between the Minni Ha Ha car park & the decent to the falls. One family consisted of 5 juv & 2 adults.... and we observed a mass bathing event. T'was wonderful. I've never seen so many Beautiful Firetails in such a small area.
John French

Sooty Terns Birmingham Street, Alexandria 2015
Further to David Mitford's observation of Sooty Terns at night (post #164188, dated 30 January 2013) I was amazed to hear a flock of Sooty Terns flying over my place at around 12:40 am this morning. They appeared to be coming from the NW and flying towards the SE. Some of this weekend will be spent trying to determine where they hang out during the day . . .
Fiona Brook

White-bellied Sea-Eagle Birchgrove Oval, Balmain
Productive cricket training in terms of birdlife, not so much in the bowling department.... 1 adult White-bellied Sea-Eagle flew over a large fig tree on the water-side of the park, where it was promptly harrassed by Noisy Miners. It headed out towards the Harbour Bridge where it slowly rose on some thermals, and was joined by two other White-bellied Sea-Eagles (although distant I could make out upsewpt wings and definite dark on the back of the wings on one bird - adult, and one juvenile - browner and generally darker, same size and with the same jizz). They seemed to disappear behind the Harbour Bridge (Circular Quay side) but I couldn't confirm that. Also 1 Channel-billed Cuckoo in flight in the same spot I saw two, two weeks ago and two Australian Koel heard.
Simon Gorta

Thu 7 Feb Wandering Whistling-Duck King Creek Rd Swamp, King Creek via Wauchope.
I was at the large wetland beside King Creek Rd., on Thursday afternoon and saw 4 Wandering Whistling-Duck on a mud bank about half way along the wetland. There were also Comb-crested Jacanas walking across the water lillies.
Adrian Dick.

White-winged Black Tern Newcastle Baths rock platform
Single non-breeding bird present yesterday afternoon. Moderator's note (NH): Great shot of a great bird! Looks like a 1st winter to me.
Allan Richardson per Mick Roderick

Eastern Yellow Wagtail, Black-necked Stork Hexham Swamp
Sue and I observed x2 Eastern Yellow Wagtails along the pipeline road at Hexham Swamp along with x2 Black-necked Storks and many waders and other species.
John & Sue O'Malley

Bar-shouldered Dove, Baillon's Crake & Latham's Snipe Eastlake Golf Course
Bar-shouldered Dove seen on the dirt track north of the small, round pond with mudflats and reeds. In this pond were a Baillon's Crake and several Latham's Snipe.
Andrew Walker

Pacific Baza Nandi Ave, Frenchs Forest
Walking home from school my brother flew past on a skateboard, and seconds later a Pacific Baza flew past. It landed in a tree and was harassed by Noisy Miners and Grey Butcherbirds until it flew off again, revealing a more diagnostic view. According to my brother (even more unreliable than me) he's seen them here before, and his friend even took a photo 'with his Camera-phone', these should be taken with a grain-of-salt however. Moderator's note (NH): If it had been your brother landing in a tree, being harassed by Noisy Miners and Grey Butcherbirds and flying off again, this post would have deserved a star!
Nathan Ruser

White-winged Chough Yerrinbool
3 birds flew over the north-bound lanes of the Hume Highway about 7am today. I've not seen them at this spot before.
Lorne Johnson

Beach Stone-curlew Orient Point
Still there on the morning of the 7th. Very high tide & it was on grass near where I saw it yesterday. Flew around the bay & then returned to the same spot.
Ann Millard

Wed 6 Feb White-winged Black Tern Flat Rock, Skennars Head
Single White-winged Black Tern resting on Flat Rock among approx 1000 Crested, Common & Little Terns. Ordinary ID photo attached.
Steven McBride

Wed 6 Feb Spotted Harrier Near Douglas Park, East of Picton, NSW
Seen from train, quartering paddock very close to railway. About 3pm
Peter Madvig

Plumed Whistling-Duck Nowra Sewage Treatment Plant - Terara
Following on from Matt's sighting, I counted 125 Plumed Whistling-Ducks at 6:45pm. They were in the paddock undisturbed by a cow.
Carla Jackett

Plumed Whistling-Duck Shoalhaven wastewater treatment plant, Terara
Around 100 plus Plumed Whistling-Ducks were grazing in a paddock next to the Shoalhaven wastewater treatment plant, Terara rd, Terara NSW yesterday. The paddock and the plant are private but adequate views may be gained from the minor road to the plant.
Matthew Jones

Tue 5 Feb Brush Bronzewing Red Hill, Beacon Hill
A Brush Bronzewing along the track leading to the crest of the Hill.......
David Simpson

Beach Stone-curlew Orient Point, NSW
I caught up with the Beach Stone-curlew reported by Richard Brown on the evening of the 5th and stayed with the bird until dusk. It was contending with the usual disturbances/threats at that site including unleasehed dogs.
Matthew Jones

Brolga Hastings River Dr Port Macquarie
Regular site, at least 4 birds.
Phill Shelley

Black-necked Stork Moorelands
One bird seen in a farm dam at Moorelands, approx 12 km NW of Harrington next to the Pacific Hwy.
Terrill Nordstrom

Beach Stone-curlew Orient Point
Beach Stone-curlew sighted on the sand flats adjacent to Seagull St Orient Point
Richard Brown

Sooty Tern, Beach Stone-curlew Evans Head
Beach washed carcass of Sooty Tern about a week old near Salty Lakes - Broadwater NP 5 km N of Evans Head. 2 Beach Stone-curlew at rivers edge, Evans Head
Bob Moffatt

White-throated Needletail Kogarah
Party of 15 to 20 WTNT low overhead in heavy overcast at 9:00 am.
Harry Roberts

Mon 4 Feb Powerful Owl Revesby Heights
One immature bird seen and heard in our backyard perching in Angophora costata adjacent to Little Saltpan Creek, Georges River National Park. We hope that it was attracted to the possums who romp over our roof every night.
Alan and Audrey Leishman

Grey Goshawk Ourimbah Creek Rd Ourimbah
Pair harrassing Rainbow Lorikeets. Great views perching in dead eucalyptus.
Paul Shelley

Bush-hen Repentance Creek Road, Rosebank
Mother and two chicks crossing the road to a nearby farm dam in early morning. Paused on the road verge for good views. Pair commonly calling in this area over past 4-5 years and occasionally seen, but this is first time offspring observed.
Ian Colvin

Turquoise Parrot (1), Glossy Ibis (1), Latham's Snipe (9), Australian Spotted Crake (1) Eastlakes Golf Course
Turquoise Parrot seen on the dirt track north of the small, round pond with mudflats and reeds. In the centre of this pond, several Latham's Snipe were seen roosting and feeding. Also seen in this pond was an Australian Spotted Crake and 1 or 2 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers. A Glossy Ibis was seen right next to this pond on the grass. More Latham's snipe were flushed further NW of he pond.
Andrew Walker

Spangled Drongo Coutts Crossing
A flock of 28+ Drongos was observed feeding in native forest and exotic pine plantation at Coutts Crossing at 1200 hrs. From memory this is the largest flock that I have ever recorded.
Greg Clancy

Pacific Golden Plover Hen & Chicken Bay (Wareemba, Sydney's Inner West)
A single PGP spotted (about 0815) amongst the many Bar-tailed Godwits, Silver Gulls and Australian White Ibis usually seen here
Barrie Ayres

Sun 3 Feb Square-tailed Kite Kempsey
Two adults together flying low on northern edge of town
Andrew Stafford

Nankeen Night-Heron Bundanoon
An immature NNH at Currabunda Wetlands (cnr Ellsmore Rd & Elmwood Circuit, Bundanoon) has brought my total no. of species seen in town to 150. You beauty. Thanks to Martin Filipczyk for the tip off.
Lorne Johnson

Turquoise Parrot Eastlakes Golf Course
Finally spotted said Turquoise Parrot yesterday, at my third attempt. Got great views fairly close up, towards the far end of the track between the two courses where it's been seen before. Also got good views of Australian Spotted Crake and Baillon's Crake.
Andy Firth

Fri 1 Feb King Quail Cattle property near Dorrigo, Mid-north Coast
Approximately five birds flushed in long, damp grass on a cattle property 5 km S of Dorrigo. Single birds flushed later in the same area. Good views of birds in flight, including the red belly of two adult males!
Richard Jordan, Mandy Wright and Margaret Brownlie

Tue 29 Jan Common Noddy, Frigate-bird Sp. South West Rocks
A single Common Noddy was washed up onto the beach and ended up on the road side in the main urban area of South West Rocks and was taken into care. For completeness sake, it was reported to Ken Shingleton that at the height of the storm on 29/1/2013, there were 4 Frigate-birds hanging in the wind over the the nearby Hat Head Surf Clubhouse, however the observer was unable to say to which species they belonged.
Ken Shingleton per Alan Morris

Lesser Frigatebird (37) Black Noddy (1) Byron Light House
At least 37 Lesser Frigatebirds were present including adult males, adult females and juvenile/immatures although there were fewer adult males than the other two categories. Several were bombing Crested Terns for fish.
Jamie Alastair Ford

Lesser Frigate Bird Manly, NSW
2 sited off Fairy Bower near Shelly Beach
David Hummerston

Wed 23 Jan Great-winged Petrel (Grey-faced Petrel) Sydney CBD
A Great-winged Petrel (likely a juvenile Grey-faced Petrel P. m. gouldii) was sitting at the International Terminal at Circular Quay, Sydney for the whole of January 23rd. It was reported to WIRES and and finally taken to Taronga Zoo Wildlife Hospital for rehabilitation. Moderator's note (NH): This bird was originally reported as an adult Providence Petrel.
Joan Dawes

Birdline NSW is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.