birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 11 Feb 2013 01:31:01 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 10 Feb 2013.

Sun 10 Feb Southern Cassowary Mt Hypipamee National Park (The Crater)
Southern Cassowary (1) One young bird came out of rainforest as we walked up main access road. The bird checked us out for food and wandered off after we ignored it. We assume others had been feeding this bird.
George and Teresa Baker

Sun 10 Feb Pacific Golden Plover Samphire Drive, South Townsville
19 birds (probably more) seen on the large samphire flat on the right hand side as you drive in towards the Army Barracks.
Ian Boyd

Black Swan, Diamond Dove Townsville Town Common Conservation Park
Black Swan (8) 1st viewpoint early, not there at 9.30 Diamond Dove (1) single bird on its own about 500m before Bald Rock turn. Both birds uncommon on the Town Common.
Ed Pierce

Fri 8 Feb Pacific Golden Plover SeaTemple Golf Course, Port Douglas
6 birds Downing Street
Kate Allwright

Thu 7 Feb Budgerigar Cungulla Beach
Budgerigar on the beach (8) From their groung-feeding on the foreshore sand-dunal seeding grasses this small flock flew up to perch in a small Sheoak on the northern coastal sand dune out fom the boat ramp. They stayed perched there for about 15 minutes and then resumed feeding on the beach-front sand dune. Distant ID photo.
Len & Chris Ezzy

Pink-eared Duck Mt Molloy
6 Pink-eared Duck seen on small private farm dam. A first for Mt Molloy I believe.
Chook Crawford & Guests [ Close-Up Birding Adventures ]

Wed 6 Feb Budgerigar Cordingley Rd Alligator Creek Qld
20 to 30 birds seen on the side of the road in the unmowed grass not far in from where you tun into the road. Birds flew high into Poplar Gums when disturbed.
Ian Boyd and Gil Crabtree

Tue 5 Feb Cockatiel, Squatter Pigeon, Pink-eared Duck Old Flinders Hwy, Woodstock to Ross River Dam
Cockatiel (5) seen about 7:25 am perched on the feeder power line to the house on the right as you go down Gunnado Road (photo provided). Squatter Pigeon (1, nominate race) between Stillwater Station entrance and the motorbike facility on Buck Rd. Pink-eared Duck (15) feeding and roosting at the Mount View Station dam site (private property); many well-hidden in submerged grass. Probably more present.
Peter Valentine

Black-tailed Native Hen Gunnadoo Road heading for Old Flinders Hwy, south of Townsville
A single Black-tailed Native Hen at the concrete causeway, first seen on the north side of Gunnado Road at about 7:15am; then later it flew across the road to the south side. Plenty of water in the stream now. Interesting as this species rare so close to the coast in northern Queensland. The adult also seems to lack flank spots. Photo taken for ID.
Peter Valentine

Sun 3 Feb Barn Owl Cairns Esplanade
Barn Owl (2) One in the tree behind the 4 O'Clock Club seat and the other in the tree just south of the seat. The Honeyeaters let us know that they were there. I last saw one of these on the 11/02/2010 in a coconut tree neer the RSL Club. Seen by John Seale, Andy Anderson, John Pearson and Darren Phillips who got some great photos.
Norton Gill

Sat 2 Feb Pink-eared Duck Cattana Wetland, Smithfield, Cairns
Pink-eared Duck (3) Ponds north of servo. This area is called Dunne Road Park.
Norton Gill

Sat 26 Jan Pacific Swallow Boigu Island
On a recent Peregrine Bird Tour to Boigu Island, we observed a single Pacific Swallow flying above the mangroves on the 26th Jan. We saw it much better on the 27th Jan when it flew along the airstrip in a straight line from East to West. We could clearly see how small the bird was, with an incredibly short tail and no white rump.
Chris Doughty, Frank and Wendy Ball, Kevin Delahoy, Mary Jones, Jock, Marion and Karen Rose

Fri 25 Jan House Swift Boigu Island
On a recent Peregrine Bird Tour, we observed a single House Swift, among a flock of 200 plus Fork-tailed Swifts.
Chris Doughty, Frank and Wendy Ball, Kevin Delahoy, Mary Jones, Jock, Marion and Karen Rose

Thu 24 Jan Uniform Swiftlet Boigu Island
On a recent Peregrine Bird Tour, we observed the following numbers of Uniform Swiftlets, 2 on the 24th, 6 on the 25th, 8 on the 26th, 7 on the 27th and 5 on the 28th
Chris Doughty, Frank and Wendy Ball, Kevin Delahoy, Mary Jones, Jock, Marion and Karen Rose

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by BirdLife Northern Queensland and BirdLife Townsville and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.