birding-aus

Copyright and licences

To: Russ <>
Subject: Copyright and licences
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 19:05:56 +1100
Russ et al,

Perhaps it would be better if those who want to build up their library of bird
sound restricted their efforts to Xeno-Canto. Xeno-Canto's recording of
Australian bird sounds can be found at
http://www.xeno-canto.org/browse.php?query=+cnt%3A%22Australia%22&pg=1
The recordings on XC are covered by various Creative Commons licences, which
allow one to freely use the recordings for personal use.

There are also a growing number of Australian species for download on the
Internet Bird Collection at
http://ibc.lynxeds.com/locality/australasian/australia
I believe recordings on IBC are also covered by Creative Commons.

Downloading from these sites is much easier than trying to hack Morecombe ( or
Pizzey, when it appears. Also much cheaper than hiring a solicitor to defend
you in breach of copy-write proceedings.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford