birding-aus

Bird hides

To: Peter Madvig <>, Simon Robinson <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Bird hides
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 00:37:20 +0930
Here are a few notes I made to go with a hide I designed for Seven Spirits
Bay in the Top End.  Obviously down south you're not going to have problems
with buffalo or crocodiles, but there may be something here of interest.

Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
1/7 Songlark Street,
Bakewell, NT 0832
043 8650 835

Bird Hides
Access
Outline must be broken up either by trees and shrubs or rising ground
behind.

Should face south or north, and preferably be on higher ground.

Direction of prevailing winds should be checked.  Hide should be located
downwind (not important for birds most of which do not have a sense of
smell).  However scent is less of a problem with an elevated hide.

Access should be from the back of the hide and the access path shielded by
vegetation.

A curved track will not be as obvious to animals as a straight, formal path.
Resident animals will soon adapt.

If wheelchair access path should be at least 120 cms. wide.  Ramp should be
the same width with handrails and edging supplied.

Height
Hides need to be high enough off the ground so that buffalo and pigs cannot
rub on the hide.  There needs to be a way of keeping animals out, possibly a
grill placed across the entry path. and a gate across the stairs.

Design
Consider having hexagonal design. to allow viewing on sides as well.

If floor is constructed of timber a covering should be installed to minimise
creaking eg tiles or matting.

A darkened hide or one with many ledges may attract spiders, mosquitoes and
snakes. Back of the hide needs to be solid so that visitors are not
silhouetted. A partition should be erected in front of the door opening for
the same reason.

As guests may spend longer in the Seven Spirits hides than they would at
other bird viewing sites eg Fogg Dam, it may be necessary to construct a
hide capable of keeping out large numbers of mosquitoes.  The provision of
shadecloth blinds able to be brought down across all openings may suffice.
Vertical slits at heights between 1-1.8 metres could be cut in the
shadecloth for binocular and telescope use and notebooks.  Slits should be
covered by velcroed material when not in use (to keep out mosquitoes).
Shelves adjoined to the frame should be provided below each slot for use as
an arm, notebook, binocular or telescope rest.  Seating should be provided.

A hut built for sleeping may be worth consideration.  Many Aus. animals are
nocturnal.

Lower front of hide needs to be solid so that movement cannot be seen.
Ventilation needs to be provided. If shadecloth is used for sides and front
rather than solid panelling this may suffice.
Portable hide
Can be made from shadecloth with velcro fastenings.  A tall screen tent with
a solid back (dark green tarpaulin) would suffice.  Vertical slots for
binoculars could be cut in the front and sides.   Commercially marketed
photographic hides are available from the UK.