birding-aus

RFI Fivebough Swamp

To: <>, "" <>
Subject: RFI Fivebough Swamp
From: Graeme Stevens <>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:59:48 +1100
Michael.

I was there fairly recently (Christmas / New Year) and I visited several times.

Water levels have been very high following the wet years but they were falling
fast under very hot and dry conditions and the birding was excellent with
exposed mud providing great conditions for Marsh Sandpipers and Sharpies, B-w
Stilts and Avocets for example plus the largest concentrations of Red-kneed
Dotterels I have ever seen.

There were very large numbers of Pink-eared Ducks and Grey Teal, Glossy Ibis
and Black-tailed Native Hens. A few Freckled Duck  and Shelduck, Black and Wood
Duck, Shoveler, Chestnut Teal. Musk Duck were on the settlement ponds but I
dipped on Blue-billed this time. Plenty of Crakes (Spotted and Spotless) at the
settlement ponds and large numbers of Whiskered Terns. Nesting Swamp Harriers
plus all the regular wetland species - in short a magic spot as always.

While it is easy to get around the edges - even if the tracks aren't all open -
one minus is that much of the extensive reed beds have been killed off, by the
high water I expect, and will take time to recover (not great at oresent for
Bitterns). With less cover, that makes the birds a little nervous and a scope
almost essential (the "scare guns" over the crops were going off in the
background fairly consistently and that may not help either).

With the native plantings starting to mature there are usually a good variety
pf "bush" birds as well and I had Striped Honeyeater, Superb Parrots fpr
example this time.

I should add that there will always be water at some level as the swamp
receives treated output from the Leeton "poo ponds" which just adds to the
variety of habitats. So it is ultra reliable for a visit. it is also excellent
snake habitat - usually I get Red-bellied Blacks but this time several
"Browns", Western I assume - quicker and a little more of a worry, though eager
to get out of my way fortunately. But it pays to watch the ground ahead as well
as the birds!

BTW Canpbell's Swamp in Griffith was also excellent (all three Crakes, Freckled
Duck) and if in the area, Binya State Forest has to be on the agenda. Wattle
Dam produced Mulga and Turquoise Parrots, Black-eared Cuckoo and Diamond
Firetail plus lots more.  Pull up a chair first or last in the day and watch
them come in to drink!  Red-backed Kingfisher at Tuckerbill Swamp was also a
first for me there.

Just a great area and I am sure it will be a joy to visit - good birding.

Best
Graeme Stevens