birding-aus

Ex-TC Oswald Seabirds

To: <>
Subject: Ex-TC Oswald Seabirds
From: "Graeme Gallienne" <>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 07:02:01 +1000
Hi all,

Yesterday I was flood bound at home at Cedar Creek (just NE of Mt Tamborine
on the Gold Coast) and a bit jealous of all those birders getting out to the
coast and recording all the unusual seabirds.  However, my husband called
out as he'd noticed an unusual bird so I ran outside with my bins and as I
watched from my verandah throughout the day I saw quite a few Sooty Terns,
adults and juveniles, several Common Noddies, at least one Pomarine Jaeger
and a different unidentied smaller Tern which appeared to be an immature as
it had mottled plumage on its breast.  All were very unexpected as we are
about 11 kilometres from the coast as the bird flies and my property list
has risen by 4 species as I also recorded a group of 4 Hardheads blown by -
although common in the SEQ area, not so here.

Cheers,

Sandra Gallienne