birding-aus

Buff-banded Rail taking food from Sandpiper

Subject: Buff-banded Rail taking food from Sandpiper
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 19:52:50 +1100
Hi Philip,
Back in October 1985, I was at Heron Island (North Queensland). The local Buff-banded Rail population was just about flightless but very tame and confiding, hence very easily observed. One day at high tide only about a metre of beach was exposed and I was watching a Sandpiper - Terek from memory - which made a dash and captured one of the fast-moving crabs on the beach. No sooner had it done so, than a Buff-banded Rail rushed out of the undergrowth behind the beach and snatched the crab from the Sandpiper, then rushed back into the bushes. I would class this as active piracy.

The Rails were in and out of the cabins all the time, and regularly ran about in the dining-room in search of scraps. I understand that birds are no longer permitted in the dining-room at Heron Island, on hygienic grounds. Capricorn Silvereyes were also in there at meal-times; lids had to be kept on milk-jugs and sugar-bowls at all times. We also had visits from a white Reef Egret, which accepted chicken and fish from diners' hands.

Anthea Fleming