birding-aus

Field guide to birds of southern South America and Antarctica.

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Field guide to birds of southern South America and Antarctica.
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 18:51:56 +1000
Hi All,

I'm planning a trip to southern South America, the Falklands, South Georgia and the Antarctic Peninsula later this year. The archives don't appear to have much recent chat about suitable field guides, and so I ask does anyone have a preference for any particular field guide? Or a combination of field guides?

I have borrowed a copy of Birds of Southern South America and Antarctica by Martin R. de la Pena and Maurice Rumboll, but the images of the birds don't look good to me (if the tern section is anything to go by) and the distribution maps are separated from the text and images.

Is there a better option than this one? And is there an app which can be recommended? (I realise the area is a very large one, and I am possibly asking for the impossible.)

cheers,

Jill
--
Jill Dening