birding-aus

RFI: birds around Darwin

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: RFI: birds around Darwin
From: Ashwin Rudder <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 07:13:57 +1100
Hi all,

I will be up in Darwin during February for a university field trip, and am
flying up about a week early to do some personal birding. This being my
first visit to the top end, I have a very extensive wish list.
Unfortunately I don't qualify as eligible to hire a car, so will be
restricted to the Darwin and Palmerston areas.

Below are some of my targets; the ones I am most worried about missing. I
am hoping to draw on the collective genius of this mailing list to get some
sites or recent gen (I have already managed to get hold of Niven McCrie's
great book).

Swinhoe's Snipe
White-browed Crake (I will be at Fogg Dam during my field trip but may not
have much chance to look for them - are there any good spots around Darwin?)
Rufous Owl (I understand they aren't being seen in the botanic gardens
anymore?)
Red-backed Kingfisher and Black-tailed Treecreeper
Mangrove Golden and (especially) White-breasted Whistlers
Arafura and Mangrove Grey Fantails
Blossom-feeders. Is there anything in flower/in bud that will be in flower
in two weeks that will attract them. I am especially after Varied Lorikeet,
and Bar-breasted, Banded, and Black-chinned Honeyeaters.

And lastly, these ones I fear are too hopeful.
It is the wrong time of year (vegetation growth etc) isn't it, for Oriental
Plover, Oriental and Australian Praticoles, or Little Curlew? And there
haven't been any recent sightings around Darwin for Yellow Chat, Long-toed
Stint or Garganey have there?

I imagine this is the most-asked question by birders visiting Darwin, and I
am just following the crowd to say that I would love to get into Leanyer
Sewage Works if anyone can spare the time. I already have the induction
form link so can complete that if I get a response in the affirmative.

And last but not least, can anyone recommend an insect repellent?!

Cheers,
Ashwin

PS. Apologies to those who are also members of the nt-birds list for the
similar email you will receive.