birding-aus

Cape York Bird Week and Field guide for Japan

To: sonja ross <>, "" <>
Subject: Cape York Bird Week and Field guide for Japan
From: Helen Larson <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 02:35:12 +0000 (GMT)
Sonja,
   there's an iphone app called Japanese Birds - has photos of most birds,
brief info, calls and songs, but not maps, just prefectures and islands are
given. For real books, I have Mark Brazil's Birds of East Asia (will be
road-tested in Okinawa this June) plus 'A photographic guide to the birds of
Japan and north-east Asia' by Tadao Shimba is useful plus is smaller and
lighter than Brazil's tome.
   Temple gardens are good for birds in Japan.
Sounds like a great trip - have never been up north.
Helen