birding-aus

Swifts

To: Alan Gillanders <>, Mike Tarburton <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: Swifts
From: Dominic Funnell <>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 05:28:16 +0000 (GMT)
Hi
Interesting I have had an influx of fork-tails over Yorkeys Knob the last
couple of days. On Thursday there were about 35+ over my house from early
afternoon onwards. Today this has increased to over 150 birds, the fock has
been highly mobile and difficult to keep in view. Within the flock there were
several clear Fork-tails in wing moult and at least two others that I took to
be in tail moult as when they spread their tails they were very square. The
variability in white on the throat was quite marked in birds that came low
enough to be studied properly, some having very bright clearly defined white
chin patches and others far less distinctly marked.
Dom