birding-aus

Inskip Point

To: "" <>
Subject: Inskip Point
From: Roy & Helen Sonnenburg <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 02:35:15 +0000
Hi Bill
Unfortunately I won't be around Inskip on Friday/Saturday.  It is fairly easy
to find the BBBQ area.
>From Carlo Rd (where RainbowWaters Caravan Park is located) turn left into
>Rainbow Beach
and then left again following the Inskip Point signs.  It is about 10 km and
when you reach the last camping
area there are parking spaces on the left.  Just past this an unsealed road
continues on to the barges
which run to Fraser off the point.  You will see a walking track where the car
park spaces end and
this leads to the Point.  Once you start along here you will soon find
platelets so look for fresh looking
ones.  A few days ago some friends had a couple of groups towards the Point end
of the path.  There
 are Beach Stone-curlews around here usually along the shoreline.  Fairy
Gerygones are also around
as well as plenty of other birds. Lots of waders and terns roost on a sand
island off the Point at high tide
but a scope is necessary to see them.
If you are thinking of Ground Parrot and King Quail you need to go along
Cooloola Way which heads south
the Rainbow Beach Rd about 20 km from Rainbow Beach.  It can be quite rough.
About 5 km along a
powerline crosses the road just near some white railings on the left.  There is
a road that follows this to the
left from Cooloola Way.  I am not sure how far you can drive down along it now
but after it swings to the right
you can start looking for Ground Parrot in the heath.  There is a track that
goes off to the right (an iron bar
usually blocks this) and I usually walk along here and around in the heath.
The power line and road lead to
a pump station which is probably about 1.5 km from Cooloola Way.

Good luck.

Roy

Hi all, Bill here

Owing to a sudden and rather dramatic change of plans (got something
to do with the bushfire situation) the wife and I'll be going to be
travelling between Brisbane and Maryborough to pick up the daughter
from the Scout Jamboree, and I'll be staying Friday night at Rainbow
Waters Caravan Park, next to Inskip Point.

Being a Victorian birdo, and having done a bit of research on places
like Dubbo and Parkes, I know nearly nothing about the famous Inskip
Point, and now find myself there on Saturday morning!

Does anyone live nearby - just on the off chance that anyone is going
to be out birding on Saturday morning, and wouldn't mind us tagging
along (Jan and I will have a car)?

Failing that, any hot tips and instructions?  Remember I've never been
there before and haven't done any research!

I know, it's a bit ask, but it's all rather sudden.

Many thanks.